Founded in 1883 as an orthodox congregation but transitioned to the conservative movement in 1934. The current synagogue was built in 1924.
GREATER ALTOONA JEWISH FEDERATION
The Greater Altoona Jewish Federation seeks to embody the core tradition of tzedakah;righteousness and social justice. Mindful that "each Jew is responsible for one another", the Federation strives to act as a cohesive force amonth the local Jewish organizations.
The JMC opened in 1949 to serve the social, recreational, and educational needs of the Jewish community. In recent years it has mainly served the general community as a sports facility and for bingo. The Federation's offices are located at the JMC.